Looking for a GDPR plugin for WordPress sites is a common scenario today. You need one to comply with EU data protection regulations.
GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) is a law that ensures every website that collects user information from EU regions complies with the law.
There are several WordPress plugins that help you with GDPR compliance. In this article, you will get a well-sorted list of WordPress GDPR plugins and tips to maintain data protection regulations and safety guidelines.
What is GDPR Compliance and Why It Matters
GDPR stands for General Data Protection Regulation. It is a comprehensive user data protection and privacy regulation implemented by the EU (Europen Union) in 2018.
If you are GDPR compliant, your business adheres to the regulations and requirements outlined in the GDPR when handling and processing user data.
The primary goal of GDPR is simple. It helps individuals control their personal data privacy under the data protection laws across EU member states. GDPR also applies to businesses and organizations that handle the personal data of EU citizens, regardless of the locations of those businesses.
Non-compliance with GDPR can result in significant fines and legal consequences. Therefore, organizations that handle the personal data of EU citizens need to ensure that they understand and follow GDPR regulations to protect individuals’ privacy and avoid legal penalties.
If you are a WordPress user and have regional clients across Europe, using a plugin for GDPR compliance can help your brand a lot.
7 Best GDPR WordPress Plugin to Look in 2023
- Cookie Notice for GDPR and CCPA
- GDPR Cookie Compliance (Moove)
CookieYes is one of the popular WordPress GDPR plugins with over 1 million active installations. The plugin helps you add a cookie banner to your website effortlessly.
Besides GDPR compliance, CookieYes supports security compliance for different countries like LGPD (Brazil), CNIL (France), PIPEDA (Canada), Law 25 (Quebec), POPIA (South Africa), nFADP (Switzerland), and many more.
- Enable cookie consent banner with accept and reject option
- Simple and free connection with the CookieYes web app to get advanced features like Cookie Scan, Consent Log, etc
- You can automatically scan and categorize cookies with a single click
- It has a Cookie list module that will display what cookies your site uses and display them
- Cookie auto-blocking to block third-party scripts, etc
You can start for free. The premium plan starts from $10/month. It also offers two more premium plans and customized solutions.
Complianz could easily make the list of any remarkable WordPress GDPR plugin. Especially when you are looking for a solution for cookie consent. It comes from Really Simple Plugins who also developed Really Simple SSL.
Besides GDPR, Complianz supports data security regulations like ePrivacy, DSGVO, TTDSG, LGPD, POPIA, APA, RGPD, CCPA/CPRA, and PIPEDA to ensure e safe user experience for different regional users.
- Automatic cookie configuration for a specific region
- You can also configure consent settings based on different sub-regions
- Customizable Templates for GDPR Notice, Cookie Consent anner, and Conditional Cookie Notice with Custom CSS
- Popular third-party service integrations
- Detailed and smart consent management features
The free plugin is good to go for GDPR management. The overall plugin is a suite of a wide range of consent management features. The personal plan starts from $49 a year.
If you are looking for a simple yet powerful consent management system, Cookiebot could be the right plugin for you. This GDPR WordPress plugin is easy to use and fully automated.
With Cookiebot, you can enable compliance with GDPR, LGPD, CCPA, and many more privacy regulations. With this plugin, you can effortlessly secure instant trust with the website users.
- Comes with an automated cookie-scanning feature and cookie-tracking
- Highly customizable according to your needs
- Easy integration with Google Tag Manager and Google Consent mode for high-quality compliant data
- Automatic cookie blocking
- Consent Widget and secure data storage
- Support 40+ languages
The free plan enables a personal website to show a GDPR banner with limited template and language support. The premium plan comes with all the powerful arsenals that start from €12 a month.
4. Cookie Notice for GDPR and CCPA
If you need a simple and completely free WordPress GDPR Plugin, this one comes to play a big part. It comes with a highly customizable website banner that helps you to comply with GDPR and CCPA regulations. Besides that, it is flexible to seamless cookie compliance, and keep your site up to date with the latest data privacy regulations and laws.
Despite being a free tool, Cookie Notice is a full-fledged CMP (Cookie Management Platform) that helps you with automated compliance features.
- Option to manage multiple cookie expiry
- Customizable messaging for notice
- Autoblocking cookie
- Compatibility with Polylang and WPML
- SEO optimized
The plugin is free. So, you just need to install and activate it on your site, and you are ready to go.
5. GDPR Cookie Compliance (Moove)
Another free plugin to help you with GDPR, CCPA, and DSGVO compliance at ease. It’s easy to use, customizable, and SEO-friendly at the same time.
One of the best reasons you could go for GDPR Cookie Consent is this – a superb set of customizable features. You can customize your cookie banner with different colors, and fonts, and even you could add your company logo.
- You can enable full control to manage their cookie preferences on your website
- Local data storage feature
- Consent expiration settings
- Customizable consent banner and privacy page
- Support all the major caching servers and plugins
- Support language-specific scripts, and right now it is available in 18 languages
It comes for free. And, also have premium plans starting from £59/a year. Premium plans do come with more compatible features.
6. iubenda – Cookie and Consent Solution
iubenda is a CMP platform specialized for EU Cookie Law and GDPR compliance. According to their statement, the plugin is an all-in-one solution for managing privacy compliance for European Users, and they claimed that actual lawyers scan your site and configure your site’s data to go smoothly with the privacy regulations.
Right now, the plugin supports GDPR (DSGVO, RGPD), UK-GDPR, ePrivacy, LGPD, CPRA / CCPA, CalOPPA, PECR, and much more. It is one of the WordPress GDPR plugins with a rising popularity.
- Scan your site and auto-configured your specific data privacy compliance requirements
- Maintain and save user cookie preferences
- AMP compatibilities
- Auto-translation of documents within a single click
- Fully customizable cookie banner and consent management features
You can install the free plugin from WordPress. The premium plan starts from $9/ a month.
MonsterInsights is one of the biggest GDPR-friendly Google Analytics WordPress plugins. It comes with a popup from builders and user data privacy measures. The plugin lets you add Google Analytics code to your site, and with that, you can easily track your user behavior on the site with real-time data.
This makes it possible for it to enable data privacy features and compliance with GDPR and most of the cookie consent and data privacy regulations throughout the world.
However, if you are looking for a focused and single-purposed GDPR WordPress solution, you may find MonsterInsights is too big for that. But when you need a GA tracker and WordPress analytics, with a superb popup form builder to capture leads, and a lot of customizable features, this could be a viable tool.
- Real-time tracking of user data and stats
- Audience and publisher report
- Search Console Reports
- Advanced eCommerce tracking for WooCommerce
- Tracking features for advertisements and affiliate links
- Page-level cookie notice feature
You can start using MonsterInsights for free. The premium plan starts from $199/ per year.
What are the Considerations Before Choosing a WordPress GDPR Plugin?
Using a WordPress GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) plugin is an essential step in ensuring that your website complies with data protection laws, especially if you collect and process personal data from individuals in the European Union (EU).
Here are some important considerations when selecting and using a GDPR plugin for your WordPress website –
1. Legal Compliance and Consent Management
You must ensure that the plugin is designed to help your website comply with the GDPR and other relevant data protection laws. Also, verify that the plugin is regularly updated to stay in line with changing regulations and WordPress updates.
The next thing is consent management. You should look for a plugin that offers features for obtaining, recording, and managing user consent for data processing activities. Check if it supports consent banners, checkboxes, and customizable consent forms.
2. Cookie Consent Settings
Well, the cookie consent setting is crucial for a WordPress GDPR plugin. So, when you go for one, check if it offers most of the following settings or customizations –
- Customizable consent banner
- Granular consent options that let users provide consent for different categories
- Implied and explicit consent. You need this feature for different regions as some are supports implied, and some require explicit consent
- Cookie blocking, expiry, and renewal settings
- Complete cookie management support
- Consent logging and documentation
- Translation and multilingual support, etc
Overall, you must review the cookie consent settings carefully before choosing one.
3. Cookie Banner Options
Cookie banner is a blocker for user experience as they interrupt a normal page viewing of users. But they are necessary for both the users and your website.
So, while displaying them, you must make them interesting. Most of the popular WordPress GDPR plugin comes with enhanced cookie banner options. However, you should check whether that customizing feature includes all the things you need like fonts and text customizations, image flexibilities, adding logos, etc.
4. Look for Compatibility
Compatibility is a foremost quality for a WordPress GDPR plugin. While choosing one, you must check that the plugin is compatible with your WordPress theme and other plugins you may be using.
Also, you should check and ensure that this plugin won’t hamper any of the functionality of your website.
5. Look for Security Updates and Support Policy
If a plugin gets good treatment from its maker/ developers the rest is assured that the user also gonna get an enhanced experience.
As for security update concerns, check when the last time your desired plugin ensured an update, you can also contact the developer for authentic information.
The last but not the least thing is checking the support policy. While using a WordPress plugin, it’s necessary to get instant support for technical reasons. A good support service is a plus for any WordPress plugin.
Time to Make a Decision
When you are keen to comply with data security regulations, it improves your trust among customers and overall brand value. A GDPR WordPress plugin is all you need to make your website compatible with GDPR and other data regulations.
We believe, that now you are ready to choose the best WordPress GDPR plugin from our list. If so, you could tell us which tool gets it all right for your website.